Inspired by my friend Misha far far away in Pennsylvania, I was looking at my garden, bemoaning the fact that soon my beautiful summer bounty will be slowing and the need to pull out the plants I worked so hard to maintain. My basil plants specifically as they are huge and I LOVE to pick fresh basil for nearly every meal but most loved is my special combination of garden tomatoes, mozzarella cheese, fresh basil, olive oil, balsamic vinegar and cracked pepper salad. (If you frequent Macaroni Grill this specific combination of ingredients will set you back $9.95 for a sparse sampling)
ANYHOW, I was contemplating my dilemma and suddenly remembered Misha's little dabbling with home economics and other Martha Stewartish behaviors.
(you're much more talented Mish) I went and harvested as much fresh basil as possible, (leaves are beginning to fade in color due to the cooler weather) I brought them in and washed them thoroughly. Then I cut up about 4 large cloves of fresh garlic and began sauteing them in about 2 tbs of olive oil. I added about 1/4 cup of pine nuts, a few dashes of salt and some cracked pepper. After the pine nuts began to look toasty, I added a few more tbs. of olive oil and added the fresh basil leaves. The amount of leaves after my de-stemming/washing was about 3 cups. I lightly sauteed these leaves until they were JUST barely looking brighter green and BEGINNING to be limp-ish. (I don't like anything overcooked-the nutritional value and taste imo is reduced greatly by overcooking) I then dumped the entire mixture into my vita-mix machine. (a blender would be sufficient) I added about 1/4 cup more olive oil and blended until it was just the texture I like pesto to be! THEN I poured the mixture into an ice cube tray and put it in the freezer. This morning, I took the tray out and put the little pesto cubes into freezer bag to grab for immediate tasty additions to all my soups, pastas and anything else needing a little pep! Oh I forgot to mention that I scraped the remaining tidbit of pesto from the vita-mix into the pasta I had cooking on the stove...it was scrumptious!
I was too busy flinging this stuff all over the place to get my camera out to take pics...I'll probably be able to do it one more time before the first frost hits and destroys the plants so hopefully then I will remember to take pictures so my blog will genuinely rival with Misha's!
10.28.2008
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Followers
Blog Archive
-
►
2014
(2)
- ► 06/01 - 06/08 (1)
- ► 03/23 - 03/30 (1)
-
►
2013
(36)
- ► 05/12 - 05/19 (1)
- ► 05/05 - 05/12 (1)
- ► 04/28 - 05/05 (1)
- ► 04/21 - 04/28 (1)
- ► 03/17 - 03/24 (1)
- ► 03/10 - 03/17 (1)
- ► 03/03 - 03/10 (1)
- ► 02/17 - 02/24 (3)
- ► 02/10 - 02/17 (2)
- ► 02/03 - 02/10 (7)
- ► 01/27 - 02/03 (6)
- ► 01/20 - 01/27 (2)
- ► 01/13 - 01/20 (7)
- ► 01/06 - 01/13 (2)
-
►
2012
(13)
- ► 12/30 - 01/06 (1)
- ► 12/23 - 12/30 (1)
- ► 10/14 - 10/21 (1)
- ► 09/09 - 09/16 (4)
- ► 08/19 - 08/26 (1)
- ► 06/17 - 06/24 (1)
- ► 01/15 - 01/22 (1)
- ► 01/08 - 01/15 (2)
- ► 01/01 - 01/08 (1)
-
►
2011
(24)
- ► 12/25 - 01/01 (1)
- ► 12/18 - 12/25 (1)
- ► 12/11 - 12/18 (1)
- ► 12/04 - 12/11 (1)
- ► 11/27 - 12/04 (1)
- ► 11/20 - 11/27 (3)
- ► 11/13 - 11/20 (2)
- ► 09/11 - 09/18 (2)
- ► 09/04 - 09/11 (1)
- ► 07/10 - 07/17 (1)
- ► 07/03 - 07/10 (3)
- ► 06/19 - 06/26 (1)
- ► 06/12 - 06/19 (1)
- ► 05/15 - 05/22 (1)
- ► 03/13 - 03/20 (1)
- ► 02/13 - 02/20 (1)
- ► 01/16 - 01/23 (1)
- ► 01/09 - 01/16 (1)
-
►
2010
(9)
- ► 11/28 - 12/05 (1)
- ► 11/21 - 11/28 (1)
- ► 11/14 - 11/21 (1)
- ► 11/07 - 11/14 (2)
- ► 09/26 - 10/03 (1)
- ► 08/01 - 08/08 (1)
- ► 07/11 - 07/18 (1)
- ► 07/04 - 07/11 (1)
-
►
2009
(25)
- ► 12/13 - 12/20 (2)
- ► 11/29 - 12/06 (1)
- ► 11/22 - 11/29 (1)
- ► 11/15 - 11/22 (3)
- ► 08/16 - 08/23 (3)
- ► 08/09 - 08/16 (10)
- ► 07/19 - 07/26 (1)
- ► 06/28 - 07/05 (2)
- ► 05/10 - 05/17 (1)
- ► 01/04 - 01/11 (1)
-
▼
2008
(57)
- ► 12/21 - 12/28 (1)
- ► 12/07 - 12/14 (1)
- ► 11/16 - 11/23 (2)
- ► 11/09 - 11/16 (1)
- ► 10/19 - 10/26 (1)
- ► 09/21 - 09/28 (1)
- ► 09/07 - 09/14 (1)
- ► 08/31 - 09/07 (1)
- ► 08/17 - 08/24 (2)
- ► 08/10 - 08/17 (1)
- ► 08/03 - 08/10 (2)
- ► 07/27 - 08/03 (2)
- ► 07/13 - 07/20 (1)
- ► 07/06 - 07/13 (10)
- ► 06/29 - 07/06 (2)
- ► 06/22 - 06/29 (4)
- ► 06/15 - 06/22 (3)
- ► 06/08 - 06/15 (1)
- ► 05/18 - 05/25 (4)
- ► 05/11 - 05/18 (1)
- ► 05/04 - 05/11 (1)
- ► 04/27 - 05/04 (1)
- ► 04/20 - 04/27 (1)
- ► 03/30 - 04/06 (1)
- ► 03/23 - 03/30 (1)
- ► 03/09 - 03/16 (2)
- ► 02/24 - 03/02 (2)
- ► 02/10 - 02/17 (4)
-
►
2005
(9)
- ► 09/18 - 09/25 (1)
- ► 05/01 - 05/08 (1)
- ► 04/17 - 04/24 (1)
- ► 03/20 - 03/27 (1)
- ► 03/13 - 03/20 (2)
- ► 01/23 - 01/30 (1)
- ► 01/09 - 01/16 (2)
-
►
2004
(37)
- ► 12/12 - 12/19 (3)
- ► 12/05 - 12/12 (2)
- ► 11/14 - 11/21 (2)
- ► 11/07 - 11/14 (6)
- ► 10/24 - 10/31 (1)
- ► 10/10 - 10/17 (3)
- ► 10/03 - 10/10 (1)
- ► 09/19 - 09/26 (1)
- ► 08/08 - 08/15 (2)
- ► 07/18 - 07/25 (5)
- ► 07/11 - 07/18 (10)
- ► 07/04 - 07/11 (1)
About Me
- Kari Morgan
- United States
2 comments:
I'm dying because I just learned what pesto is like 2 months ago! I tried looking for it at super walmart and they didn't carry it. I finally found it at Raleys's ($$$). Now I find that it can be maded from scratch. . .what will I learn next. How do you add it to pasta? Just mix in or with another sauce?
Ooooh, how much fun!!1 I recently went out and clipped all of our chives and froze them!! Talk about a $$ saver. I didn't realize how often I used them...and it stinks having to buy a little bushel of them EVERY time and you can't use it all at once. I'll have to try the pesto thing...mmmm
Post a Comment