This is a very exciting post for me. Normally, I do not like to discuss any "new" activities that perhaps may end up being a fly by night thing that I dibble with and then let evaporate into the abyss of past attempts of something awesome.
I do believe this post however, is relevant and acceptable as I have surpassed a personal goal of mine and do not see myself turning back now!
I believe I mentioned ever so briefly a few months ago that I had taken up running as a sport. Yes I did.
Anyway, over 6 months ago, I began running. It was a slow start. I began by purchasing a Couch to 5K app for my iPhone. I literally thought I was going to die the first week.
But I pushed thorough and was making fairly good progress. But then, we found out we had to move. And at that point, I wasn't grounded enough in the sport to really stay dedicated and I slacked off. Our new home was in a different neighborhood and it took me over 2 months to venture out. And then I hated it, I hated the streets with all the psycho dogs, I hated the tweaker pedestrians I encountered, I hated the uneven pavement and it was hot. Just too many odds were against this hobby.
But...we moved again. This time, to a great little neighborhood. But then I injured my soleus muscle. Somehow, while carrying heavy boxes upstairs I pulled it and it was extremely painful not only to run on, but to walk and do average activities. I did a lot of research and found some ways to treat the injury and over the course of a few weeks it got better. And I kept running in spite of it.
On one of my ventures, I found the coolest country pathway along the bank of a canal we call the slough. It's a redneck creek but it's peaceful and solitary. I don't go alone for now my husband is interested in running!
Anyway, I am amazed at how quickly I have been able to advance. When I thought I would die the first week, to be able to run an entire mile without stopping blows my mind. I can't help but grin as I sprint across the street as I never dreamed I'd have the strength or energy to do so.
I still have a long ways to go, I'm nowhere near my mentors Misha and Julie but I'm getting closer and closer every day!
I will be running my first half marathon in April with my husband, my brother Gabe, my sister in law Jaime, my friend Michele, and her husband, Jason. We have quite the group planning on running this race!
I am so excited and proud to be able to say I have made it to this point. I don't plan to talk about running here too often but occasionally I may post about a new hurdle I've crossed.
I would just like to say to anyone who would like to start getting in shape and taking up some sort of sport, that nothing should hold you back from your dreams. I had to realize that the clock is not going to stop for me. If I am going to be happy and healthy it is up to me and I have to put that into my life. And then begins to be a part of life you can't imagine living without. I encourage you today to jump in and try. You will not regret it.
Wishing you health and happiness!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Followers
Blog Archive
-
►
2014
(2)
- ► 06/01 - 06/08 (1)
- ► 03/23 - 03/30 (1)
-
►
2013
(36)
- ► 05/12 - 05/19 (1)
- ► 05/05 - 05/12 (1)
- ► 04/28 - 05/05 (1)
- ► 04/21 - 04/28 (1)
- ► 03/17 - 03/24 (1)
- ► 03/10 - 03/17 (1)
- ► 03/03 - 03/10 (1)
- ► 02/17 - 02/24 (3)
- ► 02/10 - 02/17 (2)
- ► 02/03 - 02/10 (7)
- ► 01/27 - 02/03 (6)
- ► 01/20 - 01/27 (2)
- ► 01/13 - 01/20 (7)
- ► 01/06 - 01/13 (2)
-
▼
2012
(13)
- ► 12/30 - 01/06 (1)
- ► 12/23 - 12/30 (1)
- ► 10/14 - 10/21 (1)
- ► 09/09 - 09/16 (4)
- ► 08/19 - 08/26 (1)
- ► 06/17 - 06/24 (1)
- ► 01/08 - 01/15 (2)
- ► 01/01 - 01/08 (1)
-
►
2011
(24)
- ► 12/25 - 01/01 (1)
- ► 12/18 - 12/25 (1)
- ► 12/11 - 12/18 (1)
- ► 12/04 - 12/11 (1)
- ► 11/27 - 12/04 (1)
- ► 11/20 - 11/27 (3)
- ► 11/13 - 11/20 (2)
- ► 09/11 - 09/18 (2)
- ► 09/04 - 09/11 (1)
- ► 07/10 - 07/17 (1)
- ► 07/03 - 07/10 (3)
- ► 06/19 - 06/26 (1)
- ► 06/12 - 06/19 (1)
- ► 05/15 - 05/22 (1)
- ► 03/13 - 03/20 (1)
- ► 02/13 - 02/20 (1)
- ► 01/16 - 01/23 (1)
- ► 01/09 - 01/16 (1)
-
►
2010
(9)
- ► 11/28 - 12/05 (1)
- ► 11/21 - 11/28 (1)
- ► 11/14 - 11/21 (1)
- ► 11/07 - 11/14 (2)
- ► 09/26 - 10/03 (1)
- ► 08/01 - 08/08 (1)
- ► 07/11 - 07/18 (1)
- ► 07/04 - 07/11 (1)
-
►
2009
(25)
- ► 12/13 - 12/20 (2)
- ► 11/29 - 12/06 (1)
- ► 11/22 - 11/29 (1)
- ► 11/15 - 11/22 (3)
- ► 08/16 - 08/23 (3)
- ► 08/09 - 08/16 (10)
- ► 07/19 - 07/26 (1)
- ► 06/28 - 07/05 (2)
- ► 05/10 - 05/17 (1)
- ► 01/04 - 01/11 (1)
-
►
2008
(57)
- ► 12/21 - 12/28 (1)
- ► 12/07 - 12/14 (1)
- ► 11/16 - 11/23 (2)
- ► 11/09 - 11/16 (1)
- ► 10/26 - 11/02 (2)
- ► 10/19 - 10/26 (1)
- ► 09/21 - 09/28 (1)
- ► 09/07 - 09/14 (1)
- ► 08/31 - 09/07 (1)
- ► 08/17 - 08/24 (2)
- ► 08/10 - 08/17 (1)
- ► 08/03 - 08/10 (2)
- ► 07/27 - 08/03 (2)
- ► 07/13 - 07/20 (1)
- ► 07/06 - 07/13 (10)
- ► 06/29 - 07/06 (2)
- ► 06/22 - 06/29 (4)
- ► 06/15 - 06/22 (3)
- ► 06/08 - 06/15 (1)
- ► 05/18 - 05/25 (4)
- ► 05/11 - 05/18 (1)
- ► 05/04 - 05/11 (1)
- ► 04/27 - 05/04 (1)
- ► 04/20 - 04/27 (1)
- ► 03/30 - 04/06 (1)
- ► 03/23 - 03/30 (1)
- ► 03/09 - 03/16 (2)
- ► 02/24 - 03/02 (2)
- ► 02/10 - 02/17 (4)
-
►
2005
(9)
- ► 09/18 - 09/25 (1)
- ► 05/01 - 05/08 (1)
- ► 04/17 - 04/24 (1)
- ► 03/20 - 03/27 (1)
- ► 03/13 - 03/20 (2)
- ► 01/23 - 01/30 (1)
- ► 01/09 - 01/16 (2)
-
►
2004
(37)
- ► 12/12 - 12/19 (3)
- ► 12/05 - 12/12 (2)
- ► 11/14 - 11/21 (2)
- ► 11/07 - 11/14 (6)
- ► 10/24 - 10/31 (1)
- ► 10/10 - 10/17 (3)
- ► 10/03 - 10/10 (1)
- ► 09/19 - 09/26 (1)
- ► 08/08 - 08/15 (2)
- ► 07/18 - 07/25 (5)
- ► 07/11 - 07/18 (10)
- ► 07/04 - 07/11 (1)
About Me
- Kari Morgan
- United States
3 comments:
I am SO proud of you!
Hugs,
HG
Run, Kari, Run!
It's kind of addictive, isn't it? I ran my first 1/2 marathon in 2006 and am finally signed up to run a full one this year.
Oh, Kari, have so much fun! I am running first half this March, in D.C I can't WAIT! Sad that I don't have the fair group of supporters to run with, like you do, but happy to be pounding the pavement in such a big way. You're going to be awesome!
Post a Comment