Making my poor husband a lunch every day I must admit is not one of my favorite chores. I know I should do it with joy-but making lunches period has just never been my forte.
Recently, however, he has been working so many hours, is usually gone from sun up to sun down, and eating on the road is not only taking its toll on his stomach, but on the pocket book as well. It's been brought to my attention that if I am not going to get up when he does and make him breakfast, (*hangs head in shame*) I had better at least make something for him to take for lunch and snacks on the road. Of course, I agree-and definitely don't want to resort to 5am breakfast makings. (I am such a bad example)
I think the reason I have avoided the lunch making is because in my mind for the past few years it has been so mundane-sandwich, chips, drink. Drink, sandwich, chips. Chips, drink, sandwich. Yuck!!!!! Who wants a soggy sandwich anyway?
So I began thinking....and doing a little hunting online for better ideas.
I had purchased a package of deli containers from Smart&Final a few months back, with the intention of using them for boys Lego organization. We did use some of them but the boys decided they'd rather organize them differently. (Translate: dump)
I'd seen a layered salad to go pin on Pinterest, stored in mason jars which I loved. I totally use mason jars for this too, my husband is good about returning the containers, BUT the disposable ones, (which I reuse) are much lighter, less hassle if they do get left in the car and need to be tossed, and are just the perfect size for a magnificent salad.
I got dip/dressing sized containers at The Dollar Store.
I also bought a few sets of bpa free (can't have Alzheimer's stealing my husband too early) divided containers made by ziplock from Amazon. I couldn't find them at Walmart or Target. These I use for fruit, hummus, nuts, cheese, etc. I really do try to make everything "real". No artificial flavors, or preservatives if I can help it.
I don't eat grains, so most crackers available are out for me, and that makes it pretty hard to get crackers that pass the scrutiny. I pick my battles and that is not one of them. So I just buy what he likes, which is club or ritz, but he'd be fine with something a little more healthy if I felt like spending the extra money.
Anyway, it's worked out really great to make lunches this way. It's sort of a spin off the "Bento Box" lunch theory.
I make up several of the salads, and containers with snacks, and he can pick what he wants to take.
The kids really like them too! On Tuesdays only 2 kids need a school lunch. The other 2 are home at lunchtime. But they like my lunch packings so well they ask for those instead of a normal ol' quesadilla and veggies. (Or whatever totally boring fare i may have planned) It's funny. I don't mind though because I feel I am able to squeeze in more nutrient dense selections and they eat them much more readily.
Next, I want to try to use cute packaging tricks. Like fancy cutters and pretty toothpicks. I sometimes make little "kebabs" on toothpicks and I thought getting cool ones would be fun.
I also am working on a quick breakfast plan. I got a toaster oven so I'm working on some ideas for things I can make ahead that can be grabbed and toasted quickly during the week.
But now I need a nap. ;)
Pictured below are a few of my latest presentations. One is a southwestern tri-tip salad with chipotle ranch dressing, the box has hummus, pretzels, mango with tajin, and caprese bites with crackers.
So now you know why I'm put in time out when I forget or fail to prepare lunches. I just might have some pretty spoiled family members on my hands!!!!
That's ok though...I have fond memories of my mom forcing alfalfa sprouts on me every day. I was so worried I'd look like a dinosaur at school while I ate. But now I know it's because she really cared about me and my health. My mama is the best when it comes to making healthy meals.
So I will carry on as she taught me and continue to find ways to make sure my husband and kids don't end up fat, sick, and nearly dead!
2.01.2013
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
Followers
Blog Archive
-
►
2014
(2)
- ► 06/01 - 06/08 (1)
- ► 03/23 - 03/30 (1)
-
▼
2013
(36)
- ► 05/12 - 05/19 (1)
- ► 05/05 - 05/12 (1)
- ► 04/28 - 05/05 (1)
- ► 04/21 - 04/28 (1)
- ► 03/17 - 03/24 (1)
- ► 03/10 - 03/17 (1)
- ► 03/03 - 03/10 (1)
- ► 02/17 - 02/24 (3)
- ► 02/10 - 02/17 (2)
- ► 02/03 - 02/10 (7)
- ▼ 01/27 - 02/03 (6)
- ► 01/20 - 01/27 (2)
- ► 01/13 - 01/20 (7)
- ► 01/06 - 01/13 (2)
-
►
2012
(13)
- ► 12/30 - 01/06 (1)
- ► 12/23 - 12/30 (1)
- ► 10/14 - 10/21 (1)
- ► 09/09 - 09/16 (4)
- ► 08/19 - 08/26 (1)
- ► 06/17 - 06/24 (1)
- ► 01/15 - 01/22 (1)
- ► 01/08 - 01/15 (2)
- ► 01/01 - 01/08 (1)
-
►
2011
(24)
- ► 12/25 - 01/01 (1)
- ► 12/18 - 12/25 (1)
- ► 12/11 - 12/18 (1)
- ► 12/04 - 12/11 (1)
- ► 11/27 - 12/04 (1)
- ► 11/20 - 11/27 (3)
- ► 11/13 - 11/20 (2)
- ► 09/11 - 09/18 (2)
- ► 09/04 - 09/11 (1)
- ► 07/10 - 07/17 (1)
- ► 07/03 - 07/10 (3)
- ► 06/19 - 06/26 (1)
- ► 06/12 - 06/19 (1)
- ► 05/15 - 05/22 (1)
- ► 03/13 - 03/20 (1)
- ► 02/13 - 02/20 (1)
- ► 01/16 - 01/23 (1)
- ► 01/09 - 01/16 (1)
-
►
2010
(9)
- ► 11/28 - 12/05 (1)
- ► 11/21 - 11/28 (1)
- ► 11/14 - 11/21 (1)
- ► 11/07 - 11/14 (2)
- ► 09/26 - 10/03 (1)
- ► 08/01 - 08/08 (1)
- ► 07/11 - 07/18 (1)
- ► 07/04 - 07/11 (1)
-
►
2009
(25)
- ► 12/13 - 12/20 (2)
- ► 11/29 - 12/06 (1)
- ► 11/22 - 11/29 (1)
- ► 11/15 - 11/22 (3)
- ► 08/16 - 08/23 (3)
- ► 08/09 - 08/16 (10)
- ► 07/19 - 07/26 (1)
- ► 06/28 - 07/05 (2)
- ► 05/10 - 05/17 (1)
- ► 01/04 - 01/11 (1)
-
►
2008
(57)
- ► 12/21 - 12/28 (1)
- ► 12/07 - 12/14 (1)
- ► 11/16 - 11/23 (2)
- ► 11/09 - 11/16 (1)
- ► 10/26 - 11/02 (2)
- ► 10/19 - 10/26 (1)
- ► 09/21 - 09/28 (1)
- ► 09/07 - 09/14 (1)
- ► 08/31 - 09/07 (1)
- ► 08/17 - 08/24 (2)
- ► 08/10 - 08/17 (1)
- ► 08/03 - 08/10 (2)
- ► 07/27 - 08/03 (2)
- ► 07/13 - 07/20 (1)
- ► 07/06 - 07/13 (10)
- ► 06/29 - 07/06 (2)
- ► 06/22 - 06/29 (4)
- ► 06/15 - 06/22 (3)
- ► 06/08 - 06/15 (1)
- ► 05/18 - 05/25 (4)
- ► 05/11 - 05/18 (1)
- ► 05/04 - 05/11 (1)
- ► 04/27 - 05/04 (1)
- ► 04/20 - 04/27 (1)
- ► 03/30 - 04/06 (1)
- ► 03/23 - 03/30 (1)
- ► 03/09 - 03/16 (2)
- ► 02/24 - 03/02 (2)
- ► 02/10 - 02/17 (4)
-
►
2005
(9)
- ► 09/18 - 09/25 (1)
- ► 05/01 - 05/08 (1)
- ► 04/17 - 04/24 (1)
- ► 03/20 - 03/27 (1)
- ► 03/13 - 03/20 (2)
- ► 01/23 - 01/30 (1)
- ► 01/09 - 01/16 (2)
-
►
2004
(37)
- ► 12/12 - 12/19 (3)
- ► 12/05 - 12/12 (2)
- ► 11/14 - 11/21 (2)
- ► 11/07 - 11/14 (6)
- ► 10/24 - 10/31 (1)
- ► 10/10 - 10/17 (3)
- ► 10/03 - 10/10 (1)
- ► 09/19 - 09/26 (1)
- ► 08/08 - 08/15 (2)
- ► 07/18 - 07/25 (5)
- ► 07/11 - 07/18 (10)
- ► 07/04 - 07/11 (1)
About Me
- Kari Morgan
- United States




1 comment:
Wow!!! This looks really yummy!!! I'm going to have to start doing this too... :)
Post a Comment